by J T Mawson
£8.00 (UK); $12.25 (USA) - available from STP or online bookshops.
- ISBN-10: 0-901860-92-1
- ISBN-13: 978-0-901860-92-7
- Price: £8.00
- Binding: Paperback
- Publication date: 1 March 2014
- Author: John Thomas Mawson
- Edition: 1st amended
- Series: Understanding Christianity
- Height: 216 mm
- Pages: 170 pages
- BIC Subject heading: tba
- Place of publication: Crewe, England
- Publisher: Scripture Truth Publications
- Distributor: Lightning Source
Christianity is all about Christ, or it is nothing. But where can we learn about Him? The author’s conviction is that the Bible is the only authoritative source, and from it he leads us through the miraculous birth, deity, sinlessness, temptations, miracles, death, resurrection and exaltation of the Lord Jesus Christ, His current service as High Priest and His future as Judge.
Christianity is all about Christ, and unless He is the all-absorbing Subject of each Christian’s life then, as John Owen wrote in Christologia as long ago as 1679, “whatever outward ornaments may be put upon its exercise, it is but a useless, lifeless carcass”.
But where do we learn of Christ? On the opening page of the first issue of Scripture Truth in January 1909 its joint editors, J. T. Mawson and H. D. R. Jameson, were certain as they wrote,
“The Scriptures will always be prized by the children of God, not only because they come from God, but because they speak of Christ, and indeed it is only as this is seen, and Christ is loved, that they are understood. We shall endeavour, as time and space permit, to draw out from the Scriptures the things concerning Christ, believing that the surest way of preservation from the seductive movements, doctrines, and spirits that abound, is occupation with that which is good; for ‘who is he that shall harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good’ (1 Peter 3:13). All good is centred in, and flows from Christ; and it is as He is paramount in the lives of His people, that they are happy themselves and useful to others. Then Christianity becomes a reality - no longer visionary, but practical; no longer mere doctrine for the mind (important as that is), but power in the life.”
Over more than 30 years, as he edited and contributed to Scripture Truth, J. T. Mawson was as good as his word, ‘drawing out from the Scriptures the things concerning Christ’. The present volume contains thirteen inspirational articles on exactly this theme. They first appeared as a series entitled “Things Most Surely Believed” in Volumes 26-27 (1934-35) plus an additional article in Volume 28 (1936), and were revised and published in book form in 1936.
To assist the twenty-first century reader, minor changes in presentation have been made. The use of quotation (speech) marks has been updated. Scripture references have been checked and the full title of the book is provided, to facilitate ease of lookup. Some references have been added to scriptures quoted, because not all today are as familiar with the Bible as those of J. T. Mawson’s generation. Details of other publications referred to in the text are given at the end of the book. Otherwise the text has not been changed.
From the Author’s Preface
“The Holy Scriptures are the Word of God to us; to them we turn for light and instruction as to Christ and His work. Old and New Testament bear their united testimony to Him, and the revelation that they give is wholly satisfying.”
“The Word of God is the only authority upon which I base the assurance with which I have written of these things, and by the Word of God alone what I have written must be tested and judged.”
Other Books by J T Mawson are available from STP.
Table of Contents
Preface to the 2014 Edition
1. The Miraculous Birth: The Fact and the Reason for It
2. The Deity of the Lord Jesus: The Necessity for It
3. The Deity of the Lord Jesus: In the Opening of the New Testament
4. The Sinlessness of the Lord Jesus: Why it Must Be
5. The Temptations of the Lord Jesus: What Their Character Was
6. The Miracles of the Lord Jesus: What They Prove
7. The Deity of the Lord Jesus: In the Gospel of John
8. The Death of the Lord Jesus: Atonement by Blood
9. The Resurrection of the Lord Jesus: God’s Seal upon His Work
10. The Exaltation of the Lord Jesus: The Answer to His Humiliation
11. Our Great High Priest: His Qualification for the Office
12. The Deity of the Lord Jesus: In the Later Epistles
13. The Son of Man: The Judge of Quick and Dead
John Thomas Mawson (1871-1943) was an outstanding evangelist, teacher and author. Some of his books, including this one, originally appeared as articles in Scripture Truth magazine, which he edited and contributed to from its inception in 1909 until 1943. His writings have a pleasant conversational style about them which makes them easy to follow.